10/24/2022 0 Comments
Essential Oil Uses NOT Safe for Kids
Using essential oils with kids can be a really great way to support their immune system, overall health, and improve their emotional balance, and general wellbeing. However, choosing the correct essential oils and safe uses is key to their support.
I know you may be new to using essential oils with your child, so instead of sharing all the ways to use essential oils, today I just want to share five ways NOT to use essential oils with your child. Sometimes learning less is what sticks rather than learning too much at once.
If there is something to remember before you carry on with your aromatherapy uses, let it be these five -
1. Do not use essential oils topically on or around (diffusing/sprays) your child unless you have checked precautions in relation to how old your child is, their health profile, special sensitivities, allergies, and how to safely use that essential oil to prevent an adverse reaction. This also means, note if the essential oil is safe for kids!
There are more essential oils that are NOT safe for kids than safe.
2. Do not apply essential oils undiluted topically (on your child's sensitive skin). Essential oils should be combined with a lotion or carrier oil (such as jojoba oil, sunflower seed oil, olive oil, etc.). There is a certain dilution ratio that you can memorize and follow for all your homemade creations, including chest rubs, lip balms, healing salves, and roller ball remedies. The dilution ratio's are set per age, but it is noted that if your child has specific health ailments or sensitivities, to go down the ratio line and start using much less of a dilution ratio to prevent adverse reactions.
I actually always recommend using less as most of the time, less works on a therapeutic level just fine, which in turn saves a possible adverse reaction and money on products.
3. Do not let your child ingest essential oils. This means they must be kept out of reach of your child. Essential oils are best kept in cool dark places away from heat and sunlight exposure. Make sure your caps are secured on after each use.
4. Do not add undiluted essential oils to your child's bath. Essential oils do not mix with water. They float on the top and can gather on your child's sensitive skin, which can possibly cause an unwanted burning sensation.
5. Do not use essential oils that do not have a botanical name and have "fragrance" in the ingredients. Find a trust worthy company that only offers "true" essential oils. True essential oils are completely different than fragrance oils.
There are many more precautions, and I must add one more.
Do not use essential oils on any sensitive part of your child's body.
Do not put essential oils in your child's ears, up their nose, or anywhere near their eyes... or again, any other sensitive body parts.
Sometimes it seems when getting started using essential oils it is easy to follow along in groups and see what everyone else is doing. However, this isn't always the safest choice. You and your child are your own person, with your own health profiles. One person's go to use can be another's not so good experience.
Follow my Rule of 3 -
Always research precautions and safe uses for an essential oil by the botanical name. Look for precautions in regard to your child's age, health profile, allergies, and sensitivity scale by using three different sources for information. You can choose books, online resources, or ask a certified clinical aromatherapist. Note which precautions you are seeing the most. Note which safe uses your are seeing the most.
Always know the intention of essential oil use when searching for precautions and safe use. Aromatherapy can be used both aromatically and topically for certain ailments. When you are clear on the intention of use, it makes it easier to understand, follow along, and note the most common safe uses from your reputable resources.
Not all kiddos are sensitive, I get that. However, your child is your true treasure, your gold. The education I deliver will always be more on the cautious side because I myself, have sensitive kids with allergies. I know what it is like to worry about what your use around your child or topically with them. I have seen reactions due to allergies during my years in the medical field. I have heard and can never forget Mom's telling me at the doctor's office how scary it is when their sweet child has an asthma attack. How worried they are every single day. This is why I try my best to deliver education that keeps all those sweet sensitive kiddos in mind.
P.S. Did you know babies and toddlers do not even need essential oils use. Essential oils are very concentrated. Safety and sensitivity is a huge concern and using products that are much less potent, have proven themselves to be just as effective.
I invite you to ask questions and to grab a limited time only FREEBIE I created for safe use of essential oils, carrier oils, and other natural products with your baby, toddler, little or big kid. Learning how essential oils work within our bodies to improve immunity, prevent illness, and balance emotional wellbeing isn't something that can be taught in an hour, a day, or even a week. There is so much information to take into consideration. My goal is to make learning as simple as possible for the busiest of busy Mom's (Dad's, caregivers, teachers), and deliver education, tips, and information that lasts a lifetime.
Grab your free "Quick Notes" today to start learning! Only available for a limited time! ~ Wishing You Wellness! Jamie
Leave a Reply.
Did you find the information helpful? Show your LOVE & appreciation with a coffee tip so Jamie can continue to deliver more! :)
Jamie Michaels, Natural Wellness Educator & Founder of Children's Wellness Tree
© Copyright 2022-2023, Children's Wellness Tree, LLC
Disclaimer: All information shared on this website and all social outlets is for educational and informational purposes only. The content shared is not to replace a visit with your medical provider. The wellness information shared does not make any medical claims. Always check all precautions of all natural wellness products including essential oils, herbs, and carrier oils, before using. Always consult with your health care provider before starting to use a new natural wellness product or therapy. Always take extra precautions with babies, children, and those with certain medical conditions. It is up to each individual to check precautions specific to their own health profile or their child's. It is also up to each individual to take responsibility to check for any future updates to those precautions or information on this website or social outlets. This is not medical advice.
Terms Policy: You may not copy and use any of the information and education created, written, or provided by Children's Wellness Tree, LLC under any circumstances. Payment and Refund Policies are sent for review and consent to agree prior to payment. See Terms & Conditions Policy for further policy information.